Mission…to help Virginia’s foster youth complete high school, gain access to a community college education and transition successfully to living independently.
Vision…that all foster youth in Virginia obtain a postsecondary education and be successful in both education and employment pursuits.
Goal...has Great Expectations available and easily accessible for all of Virginia’s foster youth.
Great Expectations was created in 2008 as a partnership between Virginia’s Community Colleges and philanthropists supporting the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education. The program launched at five Virginia Community Colleges, each of which received a grant to pilot components of the program. Since then, the program has expanded to 18 community colleges across the Commonwealth.
Great Expectations helps Virginia’s foster youth complete high school, gain access to a community college education and transition successfully from the foster care system to living independently.
Key components include:
- Individualized tutoring
- Help applying for college admission and financial aid
- Career exploration and coaching
- Help applying for and keeping a job
- Life skills training, including managing finances
- Personalized counseling
- Student mentors
GREAT EXPECTATIONS FACT SHEET
WHAT IS THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?
A college transition program designed to help young adults (17-24 years old) who are or were recently affiliated with the foster care system. Goals of the program include:
- To help young adults transition into college
- To increase awareness about the value and availability of a college education
- To assist students and service providers with accessing and successfully navigating the community college system
WHAT SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS PROGRAM?
- Assistance with choosing an academic plan of study and college enrollment
- Support throughout the financial aid process
- Monitoring of academic progress and assistance with accessing college support services
- Referrals to college and community resources for academic and personal issues
- Referrals for tutorial services
- A point person, at the college, to assist students in their academic journey until they are able to become self-sufficient in their navigation of the community college system
WHERE IS THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM LOCATED?
- Student Services 1Stop (lower Bland Hall), Wytheville Community College, 1000 E. Main St., Wytheville, VA
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?
- Individuals between the ages of 17 – 24 who are or were affiliated with the Virginia foster care system who are interested in attending Wytheville Community College
- Youth adopted from Virginia’s foster care system after reaching age 13
- All special needs adoption from Virginia
HOW DO I GET MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE GREAT EXPECTATIONS PROGRAM?