VA-Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

To initiate veteran benefit, students must turn in a copy of their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and a copy of their DD214, and a primary school letter (if concurrently taking classes at more than one college).  Once registered for classes required for your current program of study, students must complete and turn in the VA Certification Request Form.

No.  It is the veteran’s responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official concerning his/her continued enrollment by completing the VA Certification Request Form each academic semester (including summer sessions).  No veteran’s classes will be certified until this completed form has been turned in to the VA Certifying Official.  It is extremely important to enroll in classes and submit the “Certification Request for VA Educational Benefits” as soon as possible each semester. Students also need to notify their VA Certifying Official of any changes in their schedule, degree/program, and/or address

No. All courses taken during a term for which you have been certified for VA benefits must apply towards your degree.  If you are in doubt as to whether certain course(s) are required for your current program of study, please contact your academic advisor or VA Certifying Official immediately as this could affect your VA benefits.  If your assigned faculty advisor has deemed that you can substitute a course for a required course for your program, you must turn in a substitution form signed by both your assigned Faculty Advisor and Dean of the program in which you are enrolled.

You must notify your VA certifying official of your intent to withdraw in order to avoid overpayment of your educational benefits. The Department of VA may require you to repay part or all of the money paid for the course.

Once a student has received a passing grade of “D” or better in a course, she/he is typically no longer eligible for VA benefits for repeating that course.

Developmental courses are approved for VA training based on placement test results. Developmental courses can be completed in the classroom onlyThey cannot be taken online or in a hybrid section.

For Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) recipients, at least one class must be on-campus to receive the full MHA when full-time.  Hybrid sections do not count.  If you are attending classes half-time or less, the MHA is not payable.

Twelve credits are considered full-time for Fall/Spring and the classes must run the full session of the term in which you are enrolled.  Full-time for summer depends on which session/sessions you are enrolled in.

The book stipend for Chapter 33 recipients usually will not be paid to students until after the start of the semester.  If you have been awarded financial aid, your aid may be used to purchase books.

Yes.  However, any grant/scholarship that is specifically for tuition that a VA recipient is awarded is deducted from the tuition amount certified with the VA.

If you are a dependent of a veteran and a PE or Health class is required for your program, then you will be able to enroll in the required class.  If you are a veteran using GI Bill® Benefits based on your service, you are given credit for your PE or Health requirement and the VA will not pay for these classes.