Monday - Thursday: 8:00 A.M.–7:00 P.M.
Friday: 8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M.
Picture ID cards should be presented at the circulation desk to check out all library materials.
- Books - An ID is required to check out all materials. Books from the regular collection circulate for four weeks and may be renewed for up to one year provided there are no holds on the items. All outstanding materials borrowed from the library are recalled at the end of the academic year (May) to be checked out again, if needed. Borrowers are billed for lost items.
- Popular Collection - A revolving collection of popular fiction and non-fiction is on the shelves near the library entrance. These books circulate for two weeks and may be renewed one time. No more than two titles from this collection may be borrowed at one time.
- Periodicals - Thousands of full-text journal articles are available online through the library’s databases.
- DVDs - DVDs may be checked out to the media distribution system for classroom use. DVDs checked out to faculty circulate for two weeks and may not be renewed.
Books and periodical articles which are not available in the WCC Library may be borrowed from another library for faculty to use. Please see a librarian for details on interlibrary loan services.
WCC provides a wide range of specially licensed electronic databases through VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) and the VCCS. To access these from off-campus, faculty and students need to use their VCCS assigned username and password. Get complete off-campus access instructions.
Books, articles and videos that are assigned for specific courses may be placed on reserve by instructors for short term loan, e.g., two hours, 1-day, 2-days. Personal copies of books may be put on reserve as well as library materials. Requests for materials to be placed on reserve should be given to the library staff at least two days prior to the students’ assignment.
- Course-Related Instruction - Librarians are available to teach students how to search for information, how to obtain copies of materials, and how to critically evaluate information resources relative to a particular field of study. We emphasize the use of print and electronic resources available in the WCC Library through the VCCS and VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia). Please call a librarian to schedule course-related library instruction.
The process of selecting materials for the library collection is a cooperative one involving the library staff and the teaching faculty. Faculty members are expected to assist the library staff in the selection of both new materials to be added to the collection and old or out-of-date materials to be removed from it. The Library Collection Development Review Plan has been devised to insure that all areas of the library collection are reviewed every five years on a program-by-program or subject-by-subject basis. Faculty members may send their requests for new library materials to the library staff.