Due to the COVID -19 pandemic and the Governor’s stay-at-home order, the Virginia Community College System made the difficult decision to cancel graduation ceremonies at all 23 community colleges in Virginia, including WCC. WCC’s ceremony was previously scheduled for Saturday, May 9. Although we cannot celebrate your accomplishments in-person, the college would like to recognize you virtually later on May 30 at 2 p.m.
This virtual recognition ceremony will be similar to an actual ceremony and will include a message from the College President and recognition of individual graduates to include the graduate’s name, program completed, appropriate honors, and a photo that each graduate submits.
If you would like a photo to be included as you are recognized, you must submit the online form by Monday, May 18. The form will allow you to attach a photo to be included in the ceremony. You can access the form at this address:
As you complete the form, please keep these things in mind:
- The form will ask for your first, middle, and last name. If you are not sure of the name of your degree, you can go to the webpage in our college catalog under academic programs to find the appropriate degree, diploma, certificate or career studies certificate at https://catalog.wcc.vccs.edu/content.php?catoid=5&navoid=117.
- If you are submitting a photo, it should be tasteful and appropriate for the occasion. You should dress as you would for a graduation or pinning ceremony. Your photo may include academic regalia (graduation cap and gown), your clinical uniform, a decorated cap, homemade signs, etc. However, if you choose not to purchase academic regalia, please dress professionally for your photo, just as you would for a job interview.
- If you wish to purchase graduation regalia, you may purchase it online from the WCC Bookstore and have it shipped to you, or, you may pick it up on May 13 in front of Smyth Hall between 9:00 a.m. and Noon. Regalia must be ordered by May 12, in order for the Bookstore to have time to prepare the order for pickup. Click the following link to order your regalia from the bookstore: https://www.bkstr.com/wythevilleccstore/shop/graduation.
- Graduation regalia is OPTIONAL; it is not required for this virtual recognition ceremony.
- Submitting a photo is also optional. If you do not provide a photo, the college will still recognize you by reading your name, academic award, and program or programs completed.
- Honor cords represent academic excellence and are worn with academic regalia. If you are graduating with an Associate Degree, Diploma or Certificate (not Career Studies Certificates), have achieved academic honors, and have completed your graduation application, the college will mail your honor cord to your permanent address that is on file in the WCC Student Information System (SIS).
In order to prepare the ceremony and plan for reading the names of all graduating students with their programs, it is important that you complete the online form and upload your photo as soon as possible. The deadline for submitting the form is Monday, May 18. The college plans to make this recognition ceremony available online on Saturday, May 30, 2020.
If you have questions, please contact me at email@example.com.
Please note this virtual recognition ceremony will not replace an in-person commencement ceremony to be determined at a later date.
Again, congratulations on completing your education at WCC! We are proud of you and look forward to honoring you and recognizing your accomplishments through this special virtual ceremony.