Monday thru Friday: 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
(semester break hours as announced)
Picture ID cards must be presented at the circulation desk to check out all library materials. ID cards are made in the Library.
- Books - An ID is required to check out all materials. Books from the regular collection circulate for four weeks and may be renewed for up to one year provided there are no holds on the items. All outstanding materials borrowed from the library are recalled at the end of the academic year (May) to be checked out again, if needed. Borrowers are billed for lost items.
- Popular Collection - A revolving collection of popular fiction and non-fiction is on the shelves near the library entrance. These books circulate for two weeks and may be renewed one time. No more than two titles from this collection may be borrowed at one time.
- Periodicals- Current issues are for in-library use only. Back issues, with the exception of bound volumes, may circulate to faculty for one week. Thousands of full-text journal articles are available online through the library’s databases.
- Videotapes/DVDs - Videotapes and DVDs may be checked out to the media distribution system for classroom use. Videos and DVDs checked out to faculty circulate for two weeks and may not be renewed.
Books and periodical articles which are not available in the WCC Library may be borrowed from another library for faculty to use. Please see a librarian for details on interlibrary loan services.
WCC provides a wide range of specially licensed electronic databases through VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia) and the VCCS. To access these from off-campus, faculty and students need to use their VCCS assigned username and password. Get complete instructions.
Books, articles and videos that are assigned for specific courses may be placed on reserve by instructors for short term loan, e.g., two hours, 1-day, 2-days. Personal copies of books may be put on reserve as well as library materials. Requests for materials to be placed on reserve should be given to the library staff at least two days prior to the students’ assignment.
- Information Literacy - Information literacy is the ability to recognize when information is needed and to locate, evaluate, and use it effectively. Students in the basic English classes are required to take the VCCS Information Literacy Tutorial "CONNECT for Success". This Web-based program provides instruction on how to find and evaluate information and includes exercises that can be completed online and scored electronically.
- Course-Related Instruction - Librarians are available to teach students how to search for information, how to obtain copies of materials, and how to critically evaluate information resources relative to a particular field of study. We emphasize the use of print and electronic resources available in the WCC Library through the VCCS and VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia). Please call a librarian to schedule course-related library instruction.
Current Awareness Service
The library will alert you to articles of interest to you in journals that are subscribed to by the library. A list of periodical subscriptions is sent to faculty each fall semester for this purpose.
The process of selecting materials for the library collection is a cooperative one involving the library staff and the teaching faculty. Faculty members are expected to assist the library staff in the selection of both new materials to be added to the collection and old or out-of-date materials to be removed from it. The Library Collection Development Review Plan has been devised to insure that all areas of the library collection are reviewed every five years on a program-by-program or subject-by-subject basis. Faculty members may send their requests for new library materials to the library staff.