Wythe-Bland Foundation Scholarship Program
The Wythe-Bland Foundation Scholarship Program will provide full tuition and fees for all qualified residents who graduate from Wythe and Bland County high schools beginning with the class of 2007. The scholarship covers up to five (5) consecutive semesters beginning the fall semester after graduation (Fall, Spring, Fall, Spring) plus the Summer semester in between the first and second year for any required remedial classes. The scholarship is available to students who meet the following criteria:
- Must have attended a public or private high school in Wythe or Bland County for at least their junior and senior years
- Home schooled students who meet WCC entrance requirements are eligible provided they satisfy the other eligibility requirements.
- Students who complete a GED by the graduation date of their original graduating class are eligible for the program provided they satisfy the other eligibility requirements.
- Must provide proof of residence in Wythe or Bland County for at least the two years prior to graduation (tax receipts, etc.)
- Must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
- Complete an Application for Admission to Wytheville Community College
- Provide an official high school transcript by July 1, 2013
- Complete a 2013-14 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form and have a completed financial aid file and have received an award letter from Financial Aid.
- Complete the required Wythe-Bland Foundation Scholarship Application form
- Apply for any other available scholarships or grants, including those offered through Wytheville Community College
- Enroll in a degree/diploma/certificate program that is at least one year in length
To remain in the program:
- Complete 40 hours of community (volunteer) service with an approved agency by the end of the first year of receiving an award from the program
- Achieve a 2.0 grade point average by the end of the first year and complete 67% of all classes to continue receiving the grant for the second year
For qualified graduates, the Wythe-Bland Foundation Scholarship Program will pay for tuition and fees not covered by federal or state financial aid or other scholarships.
Wythe-Bland Foundation Scholarship recipients performing required community service--Pictured (starting top left) from right to left above are: Sara Looney, a Rocky Gap High School graduate, at the Bland County History Archives; Bryan Myers, a Rocky Gap High School graduate, at the Bland County Extension Office, 4-H; Troy Cockerham, a George Wythe High School graduate, at the Wythe County Sheriff's Office; Kristen Dunn, a Bland County High School graduate, at the Bland County Extension Office; Joshua Mattis, a George Wythe High School graduate, at the Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Foundation; Caleb Whitt, a Rural Retreat High School graduate, at the Edith Bolling Wilson Birthplace Foundation; and Jessica Thomas, a Fort Chiswell High School graduate, at the Cooper Crest Riding Therapy Program.