Wytheville Community College located at the crossroads of I-81/77 in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia is currently recruiting for an Executive Director over the Manufacturing Technology Center (MTC). The MTC Executive Director leads a team of professional business consultants responsible for:
- Finding and assessing new growth and/or improvement opportunities;
- developing work proposals and closing new business contracts;
- leading and managing these projects, potentially utilizing multiple delivery resources.
The Executive Director works directly with senior leaders in manufacturing, engineering, and technology companies. The Executive Director is responsible for leading the MTC team in a way that achieves all performance goals while at the same time remaining financially viable. The Executive Director also works to maintain good relations with a wide range of partner organizations including funding partners, the community colleges, and the MTC Advisory Board.
In addition to management duties, the Executive Director also performs delivery of services to clients. This can involve a range of scenarios from solo work to teaming assignments with other MTC employees. Assignments may include third party subject matter experts which require management, as well as university based student intern teams. The Director can represent all practice areas delivered by MTC, and can deliver in areas of specialized expertise, as well as manage third party professionals in the delivery of services. The position requires occasional overnight travel, typically within Virginia.
This position is contingent year by year upon continued Federal and State Funding for the MTC and revenue earned by the MTC.
Wytheville Community College welcomes applications from all applicants including minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- The primary responsibility is to plan, lead, and direct all activities of the MTC to accomplish all performance goals and maintain financial viability in accordance with the MTC strategic plan while utilizing input from the MTC Advisory Board, and other key partners;
- Work with MTC staff and clients to discuss and develop project targets, and then work to meet expectations;
- Develop strategies with teammates and leaders to deliver the best solutions for the projects;
- Follow market trends to continue to develop the MTC brand and to make improvements to existing products and services;
- Network with clients, partners, and referral sources to build relationships and sustain them;
- Prepare business proposals and present them to clients and prospects;
- Deliver presentations and workshops to develop and inform leads and prospects;
- Conduct research as required on business, technology, and market trends and incorporate those into strategy for MTC;
- Plan and lead MTC Advisory board meetings and MTC Staff meetings; and
- Ensure all administrative requirements are accomplished to assure proper project management, closure, and impact collection and reporting.
- Advanced leadership skills;
- Efficient project management combined with strong analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Advanced adult teaching skills;
- Advanced communication skills, both written and oral;
- Confident, outgoing, and adaptable to change;
- Ability to deal with clients, staff, and partners from various walks of life, including small
team leadership and participation in strategic engagements at the leadership level (business owner, President);
- Competency with computers, web conferencing, cloud computing and follow the latest in technology;
- Long/odd hours are required on occasion, and therefore the Executive Director must
be able to deal with stress and work under pressure;
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or closely related discipline;
- 15 years of private sector manufacturing work experience;
- 5 years of management/supervisory experience;
- Progressively greater project management experience in a manufacturing and/or
- A working knowledge of key processes such as product development, financial analysis/cost accounting, industrial marketing/sales, logistics/purchasing, quality systems, operations;
- Direct execution of continuous improvement methods such as lean six sigma; and
- Previous consulting or direct customer facing experience.
- Master’s degree or equivalent is desirable along with professional certification in
Continuous Process Improvement(e.g. LSSBB);
- Experience working in a not-for-profit taxpayer funded organization;
At least 10 years of progressively greater expertise and experience in one or more
of the following areas:
- Strategic planning and Business Development;
- Lean Six Sigma;
- Quality Management Systems such as ISO;
- Environmental Regulations and Energy Conservation;
- Industrial Engineering; and/or
- Manufacturing operations management.
Interested persons are required to apply by using the on-line application process through the Virginia state-wide job listing at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Applicants are also required to include a cover letter, current resume or CV, and an unofficial copy of college transcripts along with the application. Only complete application documentation will be considered; partial submissions will not be considered. Application documents will be received until the position is filled; however an initial review of the applicant pool will occur on January 15, 2020.
Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276 223 4700.
The individual selected will be subject to a criminal history/sex offender background check and e-verify for employment eligibility as a condition of employment.
Any questions regarding application document submission can be directed to HR@wcc.vccs.edu.