Part-Time Support Staff
Wytheville Community College (WCC) is recruiting for a Part-Time Education Support Specialist III for the Upward Bound Grant. The Educational Support Specialist helps coordinate information, provide advisement to and assist qualified high school students to develop academic skills, personal skills, and the motivation necessary for success in and beyond high school. Special emphasis is on preparation for attending college following high school graduation. Qualified high school students must meet one or both criteria that includes low-income and/or first-generation. This position is a grant-funded position.
Wytheville Community College values diversity and welcomes applications from everyone including minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Some of the job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Help to develop Individual Student Profiles for each student and update profiles annually. Profiles focus on improving academic skills and setting goals;
- Assist participants with advanced diploma and dual credit enrollment in high school;
- Assist participants with college placement testing (PSAT, SAT, etc.), college admission and financial aid applications;
- Assist with planning and supervision on field trips and program activities for Saturday sessions and the Summer Enrichment Program. The Summer Enrichment Program is scheduled mid-June through the end of July;
- Maintain program’s social media to include Remind and Smarthinking;
- Provide academic planning and motivational support to students and families;
- Assist with planning and implementing monthly group meetings to provide workshop and professional services to participants at multiple locations within the college’s service region. Workshops and services will include topics such as study skills, college preparation, financial literacy and academic, career and personal development; and
- Travel to service region high schools bi-weekly to meet, recruit, and select participants.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counseling, or Human Services or related field;
- Good oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work with disadvantaged high school students. Preference will be given to applicants with experience similar to the target population;
- Demonstrated ability to develop positive working relationships with key contacts at targeted high schools and WCC;
- Knowledge of college entry requirements and college preparatory curriculum specifically advanced diploma and dual credit opportunities;
- Experience in conducting educational group sessions;
- Flexible in work schedule and dependable; and
Valid Driver’s License
- Higher Education Experience;
- Master’s Degree.
Interested persons are required to apply by using the on-line application process through the Virginia state-wide job listing at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com.
Applicants are also required to include a cover letter, current resume or CV, and an unofficial copy of college transcripts (if applicable) along with the application submittal. Only complete application documentation will be considered; partial submissions will not be considered. If there are multiple transcripts, combine all transcripts into one file before uploading. Applications will be accepted until filled with first review on October 31, 2019.
Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276 223 4700.
The individual selected will be subject to a criminal history/sex offender background check and e-verify for employment eligibility as a condition of employment.
Any questions regarding application document submission can be directed to HR@wcc.vccs.edu.
Wytheville Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, genetics, veteran status, or disability when the person is otherwise qualified in its educational programs and activities or employment. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Crystal Cregger, Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services, 215 Bland Hall, 1000 East Main Street, Wytheville VA 24382, 276-223-4762. For further information, see the list of OCR enforcement offices for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481