Linking to Other Course Sections
The Add Course Link tool lets you place a link to any item that appears in the course map in any content area. You can also move or copy links after they have been created.
For example, you can add a discussion forum or quiz link right after a posted article. You can also refer to previous documents that reside in different sections of the course, such as the syllabus.
Adding a Course Link
From the Control Panel:
From the Control Panel, click on the content area link where you want to add the item (Course Documents, Course Information, etc.) OR
In the course, go to the content are where you want to add the item (Course Documents, Course Information, etc) and click the Edit View link in the upper right corner.
Click on the Add Course Link icon.
Choose a name from the Name drop-down menu or type the name of the course link in the Name field.
Type a description of the course link in the Text field.
Click on the Browse button in the Course Link Attachments section to find the item to link to.
In the course map window that appears, click on the radio button next to the item you want to link to.
- Choose any options you wish to use:
- Do you want to make the content visible? – Enable this option to give your students access to your course link.
- Do you want to add offline content? – Enable this option to track how many times individual users access your course link.
- Do you want to track number of views? – Use this option to track how often individual users view the document.
- Do you want to add metadata? – Use this option to track how often individual users view the document.
- Choose date restrictions – Enable both the Display After and Display Until options if you want to control when your course link is visible. This option automates the "make the course link visible" option.
- Click on the Submit button at the bottom of the course map window.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on the Submit button.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I link to the email feature from the content areas?
Yes, you can link to any item that appears in the course map. This includes items that appear in the Communications or Tools area of your course.
If I create a course link, is the item removed from the original location?
No, this feature creates a link to the item. The item stays in its original location.
Can I link to an entire folder, or does it have to be an individual file?
You can link to anything that appears within the course map. This includes folders as well as documents.
next topic: Copying/Moving content within your course >>