The Journal module in Blackboard 9.1 is very similar to the Blog in Bb9.1. The critical difference between the Blog and Journal is that the reflections or opinions posted in the Journal (by default) can only be read by the professor. It also allows for the posting of pictures, small audio and video files, in addition to text files. To access the Journal, follow the steps outlined below:
- Login to Blackboard and Navigate to the Course you wish to add a Journal to
- Navigate to the Content Area (such as course documents) you wish to add the Journal to
- Click the Add Interactive Tool button
- Click the Create Journals link from the resulting menu
- On the next page click the Create New Journal button
- Provide a Name and Instructions for the Journal
- Select the settings you desire
- Click Submit
- On the next page ensure that the Journal you just created is selected and click Next
- Post your Comments / Instructions and then click Submit
When students want to add a Journal entry they will click on the name of their Journal. The Journal will open and then they will click on the Create Journal Entry button to add a new entry. They will be asked to title their Journal entry. They can then add text, graphics, audio, and video with the WYSIWYG icons. Once done, they will click on “Post Entry”. They also have the option to save the entry in a draft mode.
The entry will be posted and can be viewed by you the professor. You will see a listing of all Journal entries on the right side of the screen.