Blackboard 9.1 has a built-in blog that allows students to post reflections or opinions. In turn it allows others enrolled in the course to comment on the postings. It also allows for the posting of pictures, small audio and video files, in addition to text files. To access the blog, follow the steps outlined below:
- Login to Blackboard and Navigate to the Course you wish to add a Blog to
- Navigate to the Content Area (such as course documents) you wish to add the Journal to
- Click the Add Interactive Tool button
- Click the Blog link from the resulting menu
- On the next page click the Create New Blog button
- Provide a Name and Instructions for the Blog
- Select the settings you desire
- Under Section 4, Blog Participation, select the Blog Type (see types defined below):
- Individual to All Students – provides each student in a course with their own area to share thoughts and work with others in the course. Students are able to receive comments and feedback on their individual blog from others in the course.
- Course - allows users in a particular course to share thoughts and work in a common area where all the students in the same course can read and add comments.
- Select your settings under Section 5, Blog Settings
- Click Submit
Note: You will be taken to a page that lists any blog topics that you have already created for this course. It lists the type of blog, last modified date and the number of entries.
When students want to add a blog entry they will click on the name of your blog. The blog will open; students will then click on the Create Blog Entry button to add a new entry. They will be asked to give their blog posting a title. Next they can add text, graphics, audio, and video with the WYSIWYG icons. Once done, they will click on “Post Entry”. They also have the option to save the entry in a draft mode.
The entry will be posted and can be viewed. A listing of all blog entries is available on the right side of the screen.