The instructor may have enabled a Voice Board which works similarly to a discussion board except that the content has voice messages attached. You must have speakers/headphones and a microphone on your computer for this to work.
- Log into Blackboard
- Select your course from the Course List
- Navigate to the Voice Board. Depending on how the instructor set up your Blackboard course, the Voice Board may be under Content, it may be under a learning module, or it may be elsewhere.
- Once you have opened the Voice Board, you may
Composing a New Thread
If your instructor has allowed students to create new threads, follow the instructions below to do so.
- Click the New button to compose a new thread. A new Compose window will appear with audio controls in its upper left-hand corner.
- Provide a Subject in the Subject text box
- Click the Record button and record your message.
- When you are finished recording click the square Stop
- The message area is the text box located below the Audio controls. This is where you can provide a text transcript of what you have said.
- Click the Post button to submit your voice thread.
Note: If you reach the maximum audio message length, recording will cease. All audio you have recorded up to that point will be preserved.
Replying to a Message
To reply to a message follow the steps below:
- Select the message to which you wish to reply
- Click the Reply button in the upper left-hand corner.
A new window will open. The process for creating a reply is identical to that of a new thread; the only difference is that any text associated with the message to which you are replying appears inline in the large text field at the bottom of the message. You can leave this text for reference, delete, or overwrite it.
Reviewing a Message
- Click the message title in the Voice Board. The message, along with any associated text, will appear in the message pane at the bottom of the Voice Board.
- To listen to an audio message, click the Play button on the right-hand side of the message.
- Messages with text (but with no audio recording) show a white paper icon to the left of the message title.
- Messages with audio (but with no text in the message body) display a black speaker icon to the right of the title.
- Messages that contain both audio and text in the message body display both a speaker and a paper icon to the right of the title.
Saving Message Audio
Audio associated with any message can be downloaded to your local hard drive.
- Select the message you wish to save from the Voice Board.
- In the right-hand corner of the Voice Player, click the Save As button and select Save As…
- A new window will appear. Select the download location of your choice. Use the Files of Type drop-down box to select the file format you wish to save. You may select .wav, .spx, or .mp3.
- Enter an appropriate name in the File Name box and click Save