Groups are subsets of students from a given class. Groups can be defined by your instructor, or be created by students. For instructor created groups, students can either be assigned to a group or have the option to opt-in, depending on how the instructor created the group.
- Log into Blackboard
- Select your course from the Course List
- From the Course Menu, choose Groups.
NOTE: Your instructor may have opted not to include this link, or re-named it. You can also access the Groups by clicking Tools then clicking Groups from the list.
- Any groups in which you are already enrolled will appear in the My Groups list underneath the Course Menu. Click on the down chevron (on the left) to expand the group options, or the right chevron (on the right) to open the group main page in the content area.
- If you expand the group options, you will get a list of all of the actions you can do with your group. The group space functions as a miniature Blackboard site, so you have many of the same functions here (such as blogs and discussion boards) that you do in the larger class space. The difference is that only members of the group and the instructor can see this information.You can also customize the group colors and banner independently from the larger class space.
- If you expand the Group with the right chevron, you go to the default page of the Group. You can select which boxes appear on this page with Add Personal Module. Notice that the Group Tools that appeared when you selected the down chevron in the My Groups Menu also appear in a module on the Group home page.
- To create a group, select Groups from the Course Menu (or from the Tools menu) and select Create Group. One use for creating your own group might be if you would like to organize a study group for a particular class.
- Fill out the form, and click Submit. Now you can click the name of your group to edit the homepage. Other students can enroll in your group if they wish.
If you would like to download this tutorial, click here: BB9 Student – using groups!