YouTube has hundreds of educational videos available in nearly every content area; it can be a free, easy way to add more engaging content to your course. YouTube Videos can be directly embedded or linked directly within your Blackboard course site using Mashups.
To add a YouTube Video to a content area, follow the steps outlined below:
- Log into Blackboard. Select the course.
- Click on the content area (Syllabus, Course Information, Assignments, Course Documents, etc.).
- With Edit Mode on (If Edit Mode is Off, click on Off to toggle to On.), hover the mouse over Build Content to get the menu. Then click on YouTube Video under Mashups.
- Enter search parameters and click Go.
- Click Preview to view the video, which will open in a new window. Click Select to use the video which will open the Create Mashup Item page.
- On the Create Mashup Item page, enter a name for the video in the Name Field. Enter a description of the video in the Description textbox.
- Mashup Options include display options for the YouTube Video.
- Display as a Thumbnail will appear as a small picture of the video which the user can click to start.
- The Text Link with Player will display as hyperlinked text.
- The Embed Video choice will display a video player in the center frame of Blackboard.
- Click the radio buttons to indicate if you want Show YouTube URL or Show YouTube information to display to students.
- Attach any files the students may need to the item. Under Attachments, attach a file using one of the following options:
- To upload a file from your computer, click Browse My Computer.
- To upload a file from the course files, click Browse Content Collection.
- Select Options for the item:
- Select Yes to Permit Users to View this Content.
- You may also select Yes to enable the Track Number of Views for this item.
- For Enter Date and Time Restrictions, you can set items to display on a specific date and time and to stop displaying on a specific date and time. Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections.
- Click Submit. The link of the YouTube Video now appears in the content area.
To download this tutorial, click here: Adding a Youtube Mashup!