Adding an Adaptive Release Rule to a Blackboard Course
Adaptive Release provides a way to release content to users based on a set of rules provided by an Instructor. The rules may be related to availability, date and time, individual users and user groups, scores, attempts on any Grade Center item, or review status of another item in the course.
Using the “Adaptive Release” function allows you to use one “Rule” that determines the availability of the content. Each rule may contain multiple criteria – for example, it can contain criteria based on group membership, grade or completion of a Test or Survey, and date restrictions. To add an Adaptive Release rule:
- Log into Blackboard
- Navigate to the Item you wish to add an Adaptive Release rule to
- Click Drop Down Arrow to the right of the item’s name
- Select Adaptive Release from the resulting menu
- Fill out the criteria on this page, as required (you can use one or more of the following criteria):
- if date restrictions are required, click the “Display after and/or “Display Until” boxes under Section 1, and choose dates from the drop-down menus
- if selecting a specific student to make the content available to type in the username of a student in the “Username” box (or click “Browse” to select them from the class list) in Section 2
- click on the names of any groups that you’ve already set up (you will need to create your groups first), then click the right-facing arrow to add them to the “Selected Course Groups” box in Section 2
- if basing the rule on a Grade Center item select one Grade Center item (Test/Survey/Assignment, or any item that you’ve added to the Grade Center), then choose a condition (note: if you choose the “Grade Center Item – Item has had at least one attempt” option, the student must submit the Test/Survey and RECEIVE A GRADE FOR IT. If the Test/Survey contains a question, like a short answer or essay that has to be marked, you have to mark the question and assign the student a grade before this criteria is satisfied)- this is all in Section 3
- select any one item that students have to Review by clicking on “Browse”, then selecting the item from the pop-up window in Section 4
Note: if you add multiple criteria (such as Group Membership and grade/completion of a Test) then students must satisfy ALL criteria before they can see the item.