Wytheville Community College (WCC) located at the Crossroads to Southwest Virginia is currently accepting applications for a Coordinator, Senior Project Manager for the Manufacturing Technology Center (MTC). The Sr. Project Manager works directly with senior leaders in manufacturing, engineering and technology companies. Delivery can involve a range of scenarios from solo work to teaming assignments with other MTC employees. At times, assignments also may include third party subject matter experts which require management, as well as university based student intern teams. Sr. Project Managers typically can represent all practice areas delivered by MTC, and can deliver in areas of specialized expertise, as well as manage third party professionals in the delivery of services. The position requires occasional overnight travel, typically within Virginia. This is a restricted Administrative/Professional position. This position is contingent upon Federal and State Funding for the MTC and revenue earned by the MTC.
MTC Sr. Project Managers are professional business advisors responsible for
- Finding and assessing new growth and/or improvement opportunities;
- Developing work proposals and closing new business contracts; and
- Leading and managing these projects, potentially utilizing multiple delivery resources.
Specific job duties may include but not be limited to the following:
- The primary responsibility is to analyze, plan, implement and evaluate client projects;
- Working with clients to discuss and develop project targets, and then work to meet expectations;
- Discussing strategies with teammates and leaders to deliver the best solutions for the projects;
- Following market trends to continue to develop the MTC brand and to make improvements to existing products and services;
- Networking with clients, partners and referral sources to build relationships and sustain them;
- Preparing business proposals, gaining appropriate MTC approvals, and presenting them to clients and prospects;
- Delivering presentations and workshops to develop and inform leads and prospects;
- Conducting research as required on business, technology and market trends and incorporating those into strategy for MTC;
- Collecting and disseminating data on different aspects of industry is also part of the job which helps the consultant advise a client and maximize the business performance of the client;
- Accounting for their project time and deliverables to trigger billing as required;
- Supporting administrative requirements to assure proper project management, closure, and impact collection and reporting; and
- Staying current with existing practices and develop skills for new and improved practices.
- A BS degree in an engineering or business discipline;
- Progressively greater project management experience in a manufacturing and / or technology environment;
- A working knowledge of key processes such as product development, financial analysis/cost accounting, industrial marketing/sales, logistics/purchasing, quality systems, operations;
- Direct execution of continuous improvement methods such as lean six sigma;
- Previous consulting or direct customer facing experience;
- Must have efficient project management combined with strong analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Must have highly effective communication skills, both written and oral;
- Must be confident, outgoing and adaptable to change;
- Must be versatile and deal with clients from various walks of life, including small team leadership and participation in strategic engagements at the leadership level [business owner, President];
- Need to know about computers, web conferencing, cloud computing and follow the latest in technology;
- Long/odd hours are required on occasion, and therefore the Sr. Project Manager must be able to deal with stress and work under pressure;
- Need to have good presentation skills; and
- Selected applicants must pass a criminal records background check.
- A Master’s degree or equivalent is desirable along with professional certification in Continuous Process Improvement (e.g. LSSBB).
At least 10 years of progressively greater expertise and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Strategic planning and risk management;
- Business coaching and development;
- Innovation, commercialization and growth projects;
- Supply chain optimization;
- Energy management and sustainability;
- Organizational development; or 3
- Manufacturing operations management.
Interested persons are required to apply by using the on-line application process through the Virginia state-wide job listing at https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com. Applicants are also required to include a cover letter, current resume or CV, and an unofficial copy of college transcripts along with the application submittal. Only complete application documentation will be considered; partial submissions will not be considered. If there are multiple transcripts, combine all transcripts into one file before uploading. Position is open until filled with first review on October 31, 2017.
Persons with disabilities requiring assistance should contact 276-223-4700.
The individual selected will be subject to a criminal history/sex offender background check and e-verify for employment eligibility as a condition of employment.
Any questions regarding application document submission can be directed to HR@wcc.vccs.edu.
Wytheville Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, political affiliation, genetics, veteran status, or disability when the person is otherwise qualified in its educational programs and activities or employment. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Crystal Cregger, Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services, 215 Bland Hall, 1000 East Main Street, Wytheville VA 24382, 276-223-4762. For further information, see the list of OCR enforcement offices for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481